Guitar Ensemble of Meridian

Monday, May 02, 2005

SYF tribute!

22/4

Guitar 5 Rocks!


Strike that chord
Treat this as a challenge
Conquer your fear
Acquire new experiences

Share the Joy
Treasure the moment
Make yourself proud
Exceed your limit
Hit your peak

Guitar 5 Guitar 5 Guitar 5
Jia you! Jia you! Jia you!
1, 2, 3, 4, High 5!

We simply rocks!


23/4

SYF Period


The training for SYF proved to have changed everything. I saw the bonds that I never thought I could see. [Much credits go to Mr Ng for organising so much activities for us.] Furthermore, I gained confidence from this training. I never thought I could gain confidence after stepping out of NCC. I never expected the bonds we share to be so strong. One thing I admire. Nobody complained of the extra practices! Absolutely no one complained when there is a Tuesday session. Neither did anyone complained when there's guitar on Saturday! I'm proud of the members. The commitment I see now is definitely even better than NCC! Serious! Almost everyone makes it a point to turn up no matter what! Even in times of sickness, everyone chose to come! It's amazing. It boost morale of the people as well. Furthermore, I'm proud of my own achievement. From a lowly someone whom do not have any musical background, to being part of the SYF team. To being the section leader, to having the front row seats. This are privileges I never expected obtaining. However, I did put in effort for it k! It's amazing how things turned out. It delightful to know that I have learnt a lot from SYF. The experiences I get is overwhelming! Wow! It is through this common goal (Gold with Honours) that brought the ensemble together. I will not be surprised if people chose to sit with guitar people instead of with their classes for prom night. I will not be surprised if 42 members joined the guitar alumni after we left. Together we shared the laughter, shared the joy, Endured the harshness of reality and we got this far. This is no mean feat! Today (23/4/05) Mr Liauw complemented guitar 2. “First time we played in timing for the whole piece!” We have done it. Each and everyone of us worked hard for this day to come. In my previous blog, I mentioned that I want to see a miracle. A miracle that guitar 2 will not pull down the ensemble. I can proudly say that I have seen it in today's practice. The credits go to each and every member of guitar 2. I'm so proud of you people. Continue to work hard for a better tomorrow! We have done it, and we will keep reproducing the standards! Guitar 2! All the way!
3 Cheers!


Huan yu: "Hey thanks for the motivation and all the sweets of cos.. Haha.. Really appreciate it.. Yeah man.. Honours.. We can do it!"

Kenneth:"Dear friends.. practice practice practice! come on. we can do it! Gold HONOURS is ours! kambatte!"

See our dearest JC1s putting in all their effort!


26/4

2 more days!


Just wanna say, that SYF is edging closer with every passing minute. It's so nice to see all the guitar peoples' blog with entries all related to guitar, and guitar, and guitar again for many days running! The spirit continue to flow within the blogs! Isn't it cool! Way to cool man! I wanna get my FIRST honours! Doesn't that sound cool? Getting your first honours at the age of 18! Haha! 17+ even!

But the main point of this temporary entry is that, guitar is all we have inside of our min now that everyone's blogging about it! Woooo!


I can't help it. I have to blog. You people know something? TPJC is just sending their top 16 guitarist for the competition. I just heard their pieces once. Their Irish folk music is definitely not a match for our concerto. However, their tango, I must admit that it has more feel than our bridge. Scary! They will be wearing full black on the day. Quote from Dody/Chee Kiat. "Their tempo sounded the same" True! There's not much contrast in the tempo, however, the way they play it is rather different I feel. Quote from David: "Aiyah, don't worry la, they only got 16 people, they won't get gold one la! Where is the effort?" Haha! However, I have this feeling that Bridge will make or break us. It won't be considered a victory if we did not manage a gold with honours. Deep down inside of me, I know we can do it! I have this strong feeling that we will succeed! However, if schools like TPJC can play to that standard, just imagine TJ, VJ, RJ. Scary! MJC, I suppose we should be ranked as the underdog, but we WILL create an upset won't we? We WILL! Jia You!

Was hoping for sectionals today. Cause there's some stuff I wanna tell my section. Firstly, please remember to file your nails! Last day to file it. Prepare your attire by today. You may panic if you are only preparing tomorrow.

SYF is a mental game. Be prepared mentally. Imagine you enter an extravagant auditorium. All eyes cast upon your every move. How would you react if you played a wrong note? How would you act when you have a mental blockage? I hope this don;'t happen, however, it is hard to say. Try to calm yourself down at all times. Do not feel nervous. Do not be paranoid. Do not be afraid. Do not be stress. Just give it your best shot. Nobody will blame you.

It's been about a year since we started embarking onto this SYF journey. (Apply to Charlene, Hiu Yan and Jun Yi.) It's about 4 months for Huan Yu and Jean. Each and everyone of you put in effort. It can be seen. It's fantastic looking at the section peaking at the right time. It's a great feeling knowing that each and everyone of you have shown great improvements. We have done a great job and gone this far. Let's give it all our best and share the joy together on Thursday!

Hasn't it been a norm now that whenever you say bye to guitar members, you will tend to add that phrase gold with honours! This form of encouragement is so strong! Everyone's practicing it! Cool! Guitar Ensemble of Meridian is WAY too COOL! Just love it the way it is.

Okie, some edits here. Upon hearing their pieces compared to ours on a one by one basis, concerto is a clear winner, Bridge is not that bad! Way to go man! on the MRT way back, Chee Kiat was saying guitar 3 played too fast, Yvonne said guitar 1 played too fast, and i said that guitar 2 tend to rush at times also. So means what? But one thing we agreed in unison is that guitar 2 and guitar 3 are not coordinated esp at the end, such that guitar 1 do not know who to follow. And we also agreed that guitar 2 can;t hear guitar 3 whereas guitar 3 could not hear guitar 2. Sigh. I realise that guitar 2 is soft, cause we can't hear it on the recordings. Nevermind, just put up with that! ;) Haha! Cause play loud not nice. yah.

Yup, ending off here! Gold with Honours!

27/4


Tomorrow's the big day!


Firstly, tomorrow is SYF! I am not nervous, not scared, but I am excited! So exciting! Today's guitar practice so fun! Haha! Firstly, we can have small group practice and it escalated into an ensemble practice! Wow! Haha! Just look at how influential a small group can be! Haha! Cool! So nice, Mr Liauw kept saying we are at 100 %. So therefore, it means that we cannot be nervous and forget stuff! Can de! Hmm, wonder what he say to NYJC and TJC ya? Haha! But I really think he favours us! Haha! If all 3 schools have dinner, which school will he follow? Haha! But the fact that he came down to MJC after TJC instead of NYJC showed that MJC he treat MJC better than NYJC ya? And the fact that he choose to come to MJC in the morning at 8.30, shows that we are of first priority! Isn't that right ? Cool! Just love that guy man!

Mr Ng is looking so restless today! He must be tired. But it's the last day! Mr Liauw is so cute! (SShh, don't tell him my blog addy k!) Haha! During training he fumbled over his conductor stick! Haha! And his facial expression is so cute! Haha! Can't stop laughing. Laughing is contagious! Haha! I laughed, Cheryl laughed, Yan Ting and Elaine laughed too! Haha! Funny xia! Haha! And I kept having repercussion of his facial expression and actions! Haha! Can't help it! Laugh so much such that I played totally wrong! Haha! And I said "Har". Haha! Oh man! This cannot happen tomorrow!

Haha! So exciting!


29/4


Reflections


Well, During the morning, I was so calm, so well, normal? Cause I "thought" I Had done enough mental preparations for the big day. So I just took things in my stride and just try to play while imagining it to be the actual place. Argh. Skip all this! Fast forward...

Arrived at SCH. Upon entering, saw so many guitar ensembles there. Went toilet, the CJC people were so terrific! They wished us all the best and good luck! Wow! But how did they even know we're from MJC? That is still puzzling me! Anyway, fast forward..

Inside the tuning room..
Wah! Mr Liauw made me so so so panicky and nervous! He was so kan jiong lor! "Whose guitar not tune? I Need to tune the first row first, they are more important!" No noise, no playing of guitars, no talking." "When it is 4 mins alert me;" "when it is 3.5 mins alert me." Wah! I was so numbed then! Mr Liauw, such an experienced conductor actually became so serious and rushy. Played the dry run of the 2 songs, there, my fingers are already not functioning properly le. They are not as flexible, instead they were so tense that almost the running notes failed me. Bridge, I have no idea how it sounded like.

Into the hall
Oh my god. I told myself not to look at the audience, but my eyes just glanced there! Poof! Confidence level dropped by half. Totally freaked out. I guess there was a lack of public performance, furthermore, they are so close! Anyway, brushed that aside. While trying to do that, I actually forgot to put my hands in rest position! As in must wait for Mr Liauw hand to raise then go to the fret board ma. Sorry! But I totally forgot that part! First mistake, brush that aside. While playing he pieces, I was trying to hear my own guitar part. 2nd mistake. Cause the place is built in such a way that u hear the whole ensemble instead of those people close to u. Ok, fine, brush that aside. running notes i think only a couple was executed well. As for bar 26, I didn't even notice anything wrong lor! I was just looking at Mr Liauw, trying real hard to concentrate on myself only. Ok well, halfway through, confidence sorta came back, played more naturally and slightly louder. haha! Oh yah, I was so scared that i was playing perhaps half my normal volume? Haha! My hands was so stiff and my mind was trying to focus and recalling where it is now and the dynamics. Ok, concerto ended well, as in the last note.

Bridge.
Okie, the first chord and the next base note was rather well, however, the first running note was a mess! Omg! Like got 3 different timings, scared le. Haha! Started playing softer. Haha! Man that's bad man! But just scared that I'm the one with the wrong timings. Then ok, the rest of the chords were easier so not much prob. then came the guitar 2 melody, I think that was pretty nice! Haha! And the next set, the following set was bad for me. Cause I forgot the chords and i ended up not playing! Hmm for 1 bar i think. Sad. However, again, the ending as excellent! We stopped very nice xia !
haha ! yah .. just some impromptu thoughts la ... will edit when the final things are done.

Results.
I Must say that moment was one of the most exciting moments in my life. It's my first time participating in SYF. I didn't know what to expect. Furthermore, only a couple of schools before us got the GOLD. What could we expect? VJC only got GOLD. Until the moment of truth. MJC, GOLD! Woooooo!! First words to escape my mouth before i stand up. I was overwhelmed with joy! It's a GOLD! The pioneer batch of Meridian guitarists clinched a GOLD! We were definitely one of the ensembles which took the longest time to settle down after hearing the results. Nice deh! We have done it.

Thanks
Firstly, to our ever inspiring and motivating conductor, Mr Thomas Liauw. You brought us to a higher level, and always kept your faith in us. You gave us confidence and guided us through the whole journey. Without you, there won't be the GOLD!

Next, our dearest teachers In Charge, Mr Ng and Mrs Choong. Mr Ng, Thanks for your endearing support and not giving up on anyone of us. The frequent treats have undoubtedly bonded the ensemble together in one way or another. Your constant humour is much appreciated.

To everyone whom wished us all the best, thanks! We managed to clinched the Gold Award!

Lastly, to each and everyone of the ensemble members, You are the ones whom put in much effort for the ensemble, sweated it out in the AVA room where the air con switches off ever so punctually, the moving of chairs, arranging footstool and the chairs, we literally sweated it out for the ensemble! The amount of commitment we put into guitar practices can be seen from the attendance list. It's really remarkable that none of us complained whatsoever when news of additional practices are implemented! You people are the reason why guitar ensemble rocks! You people are the reason why MJC is so much more fun!

Sigh, all good things come to an end. Please join guitar alumni and we can let the spirit flow on and on and on..



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home